Debate I am so proud to be a Pakistani or embarrassed

Discussion in 'Current Affair and Siasi Debate' started by hmaibuksh, Feb 27, 2012.

1. hmaibuksh

hmaibuksh New Member

Pakistani documentary SAVING FACE has won an OSCAR. It is the first time that anybody from Pakistan , nominated and won in a particular category.I live in UK and I must admit that I watched the news on BBC in the morning news. Shirmeen made this documentary about the injustice and unfair treatment towards the female. but I do not understand that their is inequality and unfairness towards all the down trodden sections of the society. This issue has been present in sub continent for a very long time. That issue should have been addressed among ourselves. But we have a habit of cleaning our dirty laundry on the international stage and while showing it, we feel proud to sell it and win an AWARD. AWARD for what. Was this movie made in Urdu, Punjabi,Sindhi or other regional languages. Somebody must tell me. The phenomena of throwing the acid on the faces thrive in our rural areas. where our lords are elected in the parliament and show themselves as the protector of women.
    My request to all of you who are feeling proud today to think that winning an Oscar on the slur, spotted and defamed name of Pakistan, is it really a proud moment or another embarrassing episode.

2. abunabil

abunabil New Member

embarrassing episode..............

3. wellwisher

wellwisher New Member

We must be embarassed whenever we see a NEWS item about acid throwing cases.. not when we won Oscar...

4. javeria

javeria New Member

I think It's a moment to be Embarrassed more rather than proud of.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

actually it should be like, "I am Soo Proud to be Embarrassed"

5. zchoudhri

zchoudhri New Member

I wish justice for all prevails in Pakistan and I hope that for every Acid throwing crime leads to an "Eye For An Eye" punishment, SIMPLE!

6. mzia8925

mzia8925 Banned

Okay let me try to address the issue the author raised. First of all it seems that you don't watch documentries, because if you do then you wouldn't be asking this question. The whole purpose of the documentry is to raise awareness about a problem and then propose possible solutions. Shermeen felt strong about this subject because she is a women, and she is a Pakistani and decided to make a documentry. And there are documentries from around the world that raise awareness about a problem in certain countries including the United States. I can produce a list of documentries made by Americans on problems in their own countries and have won oscars on them. But in Pakistan, people want to put every issue under the carpet rather than try and fix it. They immediately start talking like idiots and say "their is inequality and unfairness towards all the down trodden sections of the society. This issue has been present in sub continent for a very long time." and they start making excuses to avoid that issue. No it can't be sorted out amongst ourselves, because if anybody raised this issue within Pakistan he or she would be vilified like you are already hearing stupid comments about her dress in oscars.

7. hmaibuksh

hmaibuksh New Member

Dear member,
    you are right that countless documentaries are made in America regarding American problems, but are they made in Urdu, Sindhi or Punjabi. Awareness has to be in Pakistan because the culprit and victim both exist here. So the documentary should have been made in regional language. It was supposed to highlight the issue of acid burned faces but not winning some posh award. Receiving the award while wearing the most expensive dress which was shining in the glamorous lights Oscar venue, The winner looked so happy that these foreigners will be aware that Pakistan is not safe for women at all. So you can see pride and feel happiness in it but for me only the pain and disgrace is ultimate result.

8. justahopeus

justahopeus New Member

i am so embarrassed to be proud

9. mzia8925

mzia8925 Banned

I agree with you that the documentary should have been in urdu as well and parts of it are. On the other hand, these foreigners fund a lot of these activities by giving money to our gov't in aid. It was a PPP minister who justified burying of alive women in the parliament by saying that it was a long tradition practised for centuries. This movie should prompt American taxpayers to question their leaders for these kind of things. And n she didn't made that movie to win an award, and nobody thought she would. Plus she wasn't going to wear traditional clothes to oscars, and nobody does.

10. askaeiou

askaeiou New Member

I totally agree with your post. I think this documentary infect got the Oscar just because it presents the dark side of Pakistan. Otherwise nobody would even think about nominating it, what to say about winning Oscar.