Benazir Bhutto - Reconciliation

Discussion in 'Pakistani eBooks and Documents' started by casper, Dec 13, 2008.

1. casper

casper New Member

A few remarks from my side:
    + I am not a jialaya or a supporter of PPP-P but still I think this book definitely worth listening to.

+ She presents the case of an ordinary Muslim very well (at least in the first 25% of the book which I have been able to listen so far ;) ) provided you do not mistake her for a religious scholar and put her under a microscope and try to look for trivial differences in opinion. She does come up with lot of references from the Islamic history to support her arguments.

+ This side of BB was hidden from me and I tend to agree with the reviewer that it was only after listening to this audiobook that it became clear to me that what the world has lost by her assassination, but the question that I am left with is that why a women with such ideas was unable to transform the pakistani society in her two terms as a PM?

Benazir Bhutto - Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West (Unabridged)

[​IMG]

• Narrator: Rita Wolf
    • Length: 12.5 hours
    • Bitrate: 64kpbs
    • Format: MP3
    • Published: 2008

Review:
    Benazir Bhutto returned to Pakistan in October 2007, after eight years of exile, hopeful that she could be a catalyst for change. Upon a tumultuous reception, she survived a suicide-bomb attack that killed nearly 200 of her countrymen. But she continued to forge ahead, with more courage and conviction than ever, since she knew that time was running out - for the future of her nation, and for her life. She was assassinated on December 27, 2007.

In Reconciliation, Bhutto recounts in gripping detail her final months in Pakistan and offers a bold new agenda for how to stem the tide of Islamic radicalism and to rediscover the values of tolerance and justice that lie at the heart of her religion. Bhutto persuasively argues that America and Britain are fueling a turn toward radicalization by supporting groups that serve only short-term interests. She believed that by enabling dictators, the West was actually contributing to the frustration and extremism that lead to terrorism.

With her experience governing Pakistan and living and studying in the West, Benazir Bhutto was versed in the complexities of the conflict from both sides. She was a renaissance woman who offered a way out.

In this riveting and deeply insightful book, Bhutto explores the complicated history between the Middle East and the West.

She speaks out not just to the West, but to the Muslims across the globe, who are at a crossroads between the past and the future, between education and ignorance, between peace and terrorism, and between dictatorship and democracy. Bhutto presents an image of modern Islam that defies the negative caricatures often seen in the West. After listening to this audiobook, it will become even clearer what the world has lost by her assassination.

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/168029077/BB-Rec.part1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/168057129/BB-Rec.part2.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/168084642/BB-Rec.part3.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/168376246/BB-Rec.part4.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/168079498/BB-Rec.part5.rar

No PW
    PS: Moderators please feel free to move it to the appropriate thread. I am posting it here because I thought that this post would be interesting for the people over here.

2. fammy23

fammy23 New Member

I am glad you reading/listening this book. In reply to your valid question that why she wasn't able to transform the world for muslims and for pakistanis I would say that even prophets have failed to bring change. We will have to see that did she tried to change things are not? In my opinion, except few major mistakes, she died trying to bring the change that her father and she herself dreamt of.

PS: I would also recommend Myth of Independance, a brilliant book if you are intrested in the politik of Pakistan.

3. hassanal

hassanal Hassan

thanks alot for the rapidshare links ... finaly my premium account comes in handy .. lol

4. casper

casper New Member

@ fammy23

I would respectfully disagree with you that BB tried to actually bring about such a change in the lives of people because in my opinion papa bhutto :) was driven by the plight of people and that is why his commitment lied with the people where as BB was driven by the unlawful murder of her father and therefore always had the desire to get even with the culprits that killed her father. So her driving force was revenge instead of the plight of people.

In the next 25% of the book (which I have just listened to) she takes leaps of imagination to connect mullah, military and nuclear installations of Pakistan to support her position. I am not saying that fundamentalist mullas or autocratic military isnt a problem but there is something shallow about the way she depicts extremists marching to kahoota.

@ hassanal

I can feel the joy to see rapidshare links ;) cuz I am also a rapidshare premium owner myself and would love if all the shows and media on this website are offered through rapidshare as well.

5. asim99

asim99 Banned

sounds interesting....thanks

6. NabeelIftikhar

NabeelIftikhar New Member

Can you post "Reconciliation" by Benazir Bhutto in e-book form?

7. fkfkfk

fkfkfk Sting Like a Bee!

Well there is SendSpace.com where you don't have to wait I think.

fkfkfk added 1 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

500 megs for 12 hours of audio @64kbps seems odd.

fkfkfk added 30 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

yar thanks for posting but its useless bcos i can't download after first piece as i'm free user. after downloading 100 meg rapid share says your limit is expired.

what a dissapointmnt!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  8. straiche

straiche New Member

Great post but links are dead.

Can you please repost ?