Column “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new”. - Albert Einstein

Discussion in 'Current Affair and Siasi Debate' started by hamsafar01, Jan 20, 2011.

1. hamsafar01

hamsafar01 New Member

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This email i received today, i wish to share with you.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new”. - Albert Einstein [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Here are some thoughts on making mistakes[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Under the leadership of Tom Watson Jr. IBM (International Business Machines) came to be regarded as not only a great company but also the most profitable one. The vision and implementation were outstanding. The focus on people as the greatest asset was an important factor in IBM’s rise to greatness. The following example of handling mistakes illustrates extraordinary leadership qualities. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A senior vice president lost US$ 250,000 (a very large amount of money at that time) on an initiative which did not succeed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Executive crestfallen upon entering the office of Watson apologised and said " I am sorry for what went wrong, I accept full responsibility. You can expect my resignation on your table first thing tomorrow morning" . [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Watson rejected the offer of resignation saying, "we can't let you go, we have just spent $250,000 on your education".[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The gentleman in question subsequently went on to achieve remarkable success both personally and for IBM.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Another instance.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]There was a big fire at Thomas Edison’s laboratory. Everything was being consumed by the fire[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and everyone flayed their hands while the firemen made their best efforts to douse the blaze, but the fire raged on destroying everything.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Edison stood there with many of his assistants watching the situation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A researcher who had spent many years working with Edison was sobbing uncontrollably. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Edison asked this assistant “Why are you crying?”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The researcher replied “Thirty years of hard work going up in flames, it’s simply unbearable”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Edison laughed and responded “ In fact am happy. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]hirty years of mistakes have been consigned to the flames. We can now state afresh on a clean slate.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This attitude differentiates Edison from the unnamed researcher[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and why the world remembers Thomas Edison and not that researcher.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I was 23 when my brothers and I joined the family business. I tried to step into the shoes of my mentor, my teacher and best friend my Uncle Manohar Singh ji. As with all students and followers I craved the approval of my teacher. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] My Uncle had by then retired from the family business. However we often used to spend time together just chit chatting about life, work and generally enjoying each other’s company. I did not realise it then, but my Uncle indulged me to a great extent. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]People, particularly young men like to brag, even if they have achieved a small measure of success. I was no different. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]One evening after I had delivered a long monologue of what all I had achieved and was going to achieve, my Uncle bowled me over with a smile and three questions; [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Have you made any mistakes? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you have made mistakes, then what have you learnt from them? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you have learnt something, then what are you doing with the lessons?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I was extremely upset. Gosh! Why was it so damn difficult to satisfy my Uncle? He was simply impossible. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We finished the rest of our meal in silence. Seeing me off at the door, saying “Satsriakal” he simply hugged me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I spent a restless night. By the morning it dawned on me, that what my Uncle had asked me, was as usual relevant and useful. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Like all great teachers and guides, he had forced me to think, simply by asking questions rather than dictating or advising me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The next few weeks I tried to list out my failures, but could hardly find any. This was not because I had not screwed up, it was because I was so full of myself. After all success blinds a person to one’s own faults and failures.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Being self critical I started making a note of the mistakes I was making and I now saw that there were plenty of them. I like to write down stuff so I listed them and the lessons I drew from them and then what I was to do or had done to implement solutions.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Rather than make me feel worse it rejuvenated me. I was improving and becoming a better human being and leader.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A year later I introduced this aspect of discussing failures and mistakes informally during performance appraisal meetings. I asked that staff and managers to list the top 10 mistakes they had made, the lessons learnt and the corrective actions they were taking. I expected dramatic outcomes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It appeared that I had run straight into a wall. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My team members were confused and some were in panic, after all this is not what bosses are supposed to ask. Bosses should ask about your achievements not about your failures. They went into denial. I was surprised to find that almost no one was willing to concede to making mistakes. They claimed that the problem causes lay with other people or the organisation at large and they were mostly blameless.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I soon realised that the problem is not with the people as much as it is with the leaders and the bosses. Bosses cannot tolerate mistakes or weaknesses in their subordinates. The moment a junior confesses to making a mistake, he or she is crucified. No wonder subordinates go to great lengths to conceal their mistakes and by extension hide the weaknesses of their organisation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Problems do not resolve by themselves, they have to be tackled. But how does one tackle a problem or issue that one is unaware of?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To achieve greatness an organisation must overcome its inertia and improve continuously. This is possible only if you know what needs improvement or change.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Ordinary people love to talk of their achievements[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] not failures. Such people tend to become static since they look at the past. On the other hand outstanding people and achievers learn more from their mistakes and focus on the future, new opportunities and positive development. By focussing on mistakes and lessons learnt we were able to identify the innovative and bold leaders of tomorrow. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]As we introduced this radical aspect into our culture, we learnt a few lessons; [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]There is a difference between a mistake and negligence. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]There is a difference between a risk and a gamble.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Negligence is failing to respond as trained, instructed or as per laid down guidelines. Negligence is failing to deal with known and predictable problems identified for which prescribed solutions and protocols exist. An example of negligence would be a nurse or doctor failing to use sterilised instruments, even though they are mandated and available . This will increase the probability of passing on infection to patients a good example of negligence.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A risk is based on an informed decision where there is a clear understanding that the outcomes may be different from those expected or that demands of money, time and resources may be higher than expected. A risk decision is always backed up by a contingency plan to mitigate unfavourable outcomes. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A gamble is based on sketchy information. It usually involves a hunch and luck. Being speculative in nature a gamble can provide high rewards and on the flip side the damages can be significant. In a loss situation the gambler’s instinct is to double the odds in a hope to recoup losses often making the situation worse.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Mistakes are welcome opportunities to improve. If organisations, leaders and individuals respond appropriately, they strengthen organisations in the long run. Negligent individuals and gamblers destroy organisations. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]An organisation seeking to get ahead must constantly innovate for the best, but this is a mentality that leaders and managements need to nurture.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Team members have to feel comfortable to know that they will not be punished for taking risks. They must not be punished for making mistakes however they must be ostracized for negligence.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]One of the reasons there is stagnancy or no improvement in government or state managed organisations and also in organisations that have become large and bureaucratic, is that doing nothing is safer than taking risks. People are not rewarded for taking risks or innovating but severely punished for making mistakes. The design and structure of our government systems and administration are several centuries old. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Forget the old Swiss proverb which says “If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it”. This phrase was coined approximately 600 years ago, during the agrarian economies of those times where nothing really changed much for millennia. So what was good for yesterday is good for today and even tomorrow.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Now with advent of knowledge and technology things and the environment change very fast. Therefore people and organisations must change, and improvise continuously not only if they want to thrive but merely to survive. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Beware bosses and leaders! [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Before you go out and ask your juniors to start admitting to their mistakes and blunders, here are a couple of things you need to keep in mind.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]People will be openly admit to mistakes if they know that you will attack the problem and not the individual. People are not punished for trying and not succeeding.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Not everyone wants to lead. Many are simply content to follow. Organisations need a lot of people to implement decisions. If an individual is risk averse put that person to follow a leader. Everyone wins.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Conversely if you try to bottle up a talented and innovative person you will lose an asset but not before they cause a lot of turbulence. Give such people a loose rein and try to channelise their energy. Let them take risks [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Beware juniors, and team members! [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If you are an employee, judge your organisation well. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Risk taking can be successfully taken in an environment that encourages creativity and is looking to the future. Here your mistakes will be tolerated and even appreciated.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]However any organisation with no vision or a decent game-plan is mired in the present and sometimes even in the past, such organisations simply do not promote innovation or even openness. Admitting to weakness or mistakes by individuals in such organisations can be fatal to a person’s career.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Once we won the trust of our people, we improved continuously and rapidly, to achieve a reputation of a “Can achieve almost anything organisation” inspiring hearts and minds of individuals and teams across the entire organisation and even associates. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Innovation and therefore risk taking is a culture not an instruction.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

2. Star-Gazer

Star-Gazer Banned

Thanks for educating the people using a Western Personality as an example. I cannot be sure, or comment if there are any weaknesses or flaws in this mode of Moral Teaching using a non believer model on Moral values.
    However, I offer an alternative of Islamic method of dealing with mistakes.

The Prophet’s Methods for Correcting People’s Mistakes

Teaching people is one of the greatest good deeds whose benefits spread to others. It is the daiy‟ahs‟ and educators‟ share of the heritage of the Prophets and Messengers. "Allaah and the angels, and even the ant in its nest and the whale in the sea will pray for the one who teaches people the ways of good." (Reported by al-Tirmidhi; [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Sunan al-Tirmidhi[/FONT][/FONT], Ahmad Shaakir edn., no. 2685. Abu „Eesa said, this is a saheeh ghareeb hasan hadeeth).
    Full article on the following link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47244173/The-Prophet-s-Methods-for-Correcting-People-s-Mistakes-Al-Asaaleeb-Al-Nabawiyyah

3. mr10%

mr10% New Member

good efforts my friend....................................

4. ahmed107

ahmed107 New Member

oh come come bro, islam is learn learn doesn't matter where it comes from !

5. Ehtesab

Ehtesab Banned

look at the intellectual level of these fake molvis........~~

they are all same, just like these 1s, cut/paste and copy..... this is all wat they are known for (and yes in between when they get a free chance..... they try to get fun by holding " Munda Paru " parties ......!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  6. Newbie

Newbie New Member

SHARmeela had this been happened in america to the poor guy had earned millions of dollars by suing the institution authorities for not placing a visible sign on the auto glass door.
    :d

7. hamsafar01

hamsafar01 New Member

very true, Islam doesn't stop to learn from non believer.

8. Star-Gazer

Star-Gazer Banned

No chance. First question is, why is this 'Multani-paindoo' there in the first instance?? If he is there then he must learn how to act. Don't under-estimate the molvis though, they are keeping a solid grip on 180Million people. Not one can be buried without their help. You remember ST had difficulty finding a molvi to bury him.
    So it is the backwardness of the poor Multani-paindoos that we pity not make fun of them and call them molvis, they are simply pure, backward, witless and uneducated Multani-Paindoos. May be take them to America or London to make them smart in brains. It is a risky and costly matter though. I hope he was not badly hurt.

9. Star-Gazer

Star-Gazer Banned

Any update about the welfare of the 'Multani-Paindoo' s condition? He had a really hard hit bull-dozing through the tough safety glass door. Poor MP, my heart goes out to him, he must be severely injured. Please would anyone nearby check and let us know. We could contribute towards his treatment if needed.

10. ashahid

ashahid Banned

"And anyone who tries any new evenues, ventures into uncharted waters and seeks innovations is OUTSIDE the fold of Islam, Pristine Islam is fixed and rigid and must never allow a dissenting voice. Thus this 'Islam' has eliminated the margin of mistake and error and has reached a divine status" - Star-Gazer

11. cancer

cancer Well-Known Member Siasi Karkun

'Pristine Islam', Go and read a few books before commenting on something you dont know.

12. ashahid

ashahid Banned

What cant be done by one and half billion people on earth despite their best valiant efforts and untiring endeavors is probably impractical and unfeasable to begin with. Dont you think we need to be reasonable and rational rather than keep regurgitating mythical fantasies with no end in sight.

13. Ranj

Ranj New Member

And do not forget,if you see an old man riding a camel through a British town,you know it is a true Muslim Star-Geeser rejecting all things 'Western'.

14. laiqa

laiqa New Member

hihihihihihihihihihi:hehe:hehe:hehe

15. cancer

I do not know how to respond to this? I dont know who to pity more: the one who thinks he becomes a true muslim by riding a camel or the one who thinks that claiming to be a true muslim means doing that.

16. ashahid

ashahid Banned

Unfortunately, you failed to grasp the inner sarcasm of his interjection. The type of 'Islam' that our Geezer friend keeps crowing and parrotting involves express allegiance to tribal society laws and values, It prides itself as being the purest immitation and mimicry of all signs and isignias of that era. Thus, it would not be a far cry of imagination to interpret his puritanical version of faith in a signatory deed like 'Camel riding'.

17. cancer

Numbers dont matter my dear. Have u read the word 'Assabiya'. U'l have to read Ibne Khuldun to understand this. nd what is unfeasible in this world. U know in this world even an imperefct idea implemented with sincerity and vigour produces result. You just sow a seed and the mother nature does it all for you. All mathematics is based on suppositions. You live in England home to the very very imperfect ideas of renaissance and look what they have achieved and you consider Islam to be impractical. If u had said that some ignorant mullahs are trying to reverse the cycle of civilization I would have agreed with you. I do not think you have tried to delve deeply into the history of Islam and the Prophet nor have you tried to read Quran and by reading Quran I mean not only to read the Quran but also to understand and socio economic history of time and understand it in perspective. I have to say this that we do not even give the Quran the importance of a text book. Some do not care whats the Message and others fall on the verses as if deaf and blind (means they just read and do not try to comprehend) as stated in one of the verse of the Holy Book.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

You are pathetic! and i mean it. We r criticizing Mullahs all the time but u so called liberals are worse in ingorance and hatred.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  18. ashahid

ashahid Banned

I have never taken a swipe at Islam per se....I dont know why your religious fervor forces you to insinuate my 'ravings' as anti-Islamic. I merely commented on the version touted as 'Pristine Islam' or the illusions our great religious scholars continue to spring across naive Muslim minds. The pebulum which expressly repudiates all forms of modernism, be it scientific or social is what I am aiming at. The fact that irks me utmost and leaves me rankled and ruffled up is that we have a fobbish answer to all our issues ' Islam say Dooori'. This gives me an impression as if all of us are chasing shadows and reflections which disappear as soon as one step is moved in that direction. Billions of the masses are left gobsmacked and paralyzed by this notion. Why is it that not even a single state on earth exists where these fashionable fantasies have ever worked their magic???? Do all people of all countries lack resolve, confidence and knowledge???

In the end, I must confess that this whole business of mythical religious purity was fabricated to distract and mislead people in order to leave them as perpetually pending and hanging in no man's land.

19. cancer

Sorry to keep on debating but who are these 'religious scholars'. Its because we have become lazy and whoever can occupy a mosque, come on a TV show or make a political party is thought of as a a scholar? Reading takes a bit more energy than watching and listening and research a lot more which we are not prepared to do. So do not blame some bearded demagogues for exploting us. If some of you have some spare go and read the work of the great scholars on Islam and make an effort rather than just copying Wests 'success recipe'.

20. ashahid

ashahid Banned

Why should anyone engage in deciphering the religious scripture anyway??? I simply do not feel the reason to do so for all noteworthy and even rank and file people irredeamably believe that religion is a fixed, inflexible and stagnated entity. No innovations, new and improved meanings, further guidance and teachings are to be accepted or appreciated. The religion is complete and final in all respects in all encompassing fields. Anyone who seeks to deviate or innovate is an accursed and condemned man. It seems a folly to me to spend nocturnal vigils only to reach the same conclusions using the same logics...Why not quiz someone and implement it??

I would burn the midnight oil in science, I would work fingers to bones in methemtics, physics or biology for I can hope to extract hidden, unseen facts and knowledge for these fields are interminable and unending. Disagreeing and dissenting with an established theory courts curiosity and educated debate rather than fatwas and violence.

Why would you like me to study religion if I reached a conclusion that stoning or flogging is against Islam?? Or that blasphemy law has no foundations in Islam??? For this reason, religious studies are demoralizing for they have a note of finality about them.